11.6.10

31 Days to Build a Better Blog: How to Increase Your Blog Stats by Over 100%

Lavender flowers

Day 30. Day 30! DAY 30!!!!

I am calm. No worries.

DAY THIRRRRRRRRTY!!!!! :)

Which is to say we are just in time for today's exercise— look at your blog statistics.

At the beginning of this project, Paul's laughter shook the earth, all because of blog stats. Or at least that's the way I pictured it. After all, I knew the discrepancy— this blog's low stats versus my claims to be an '8' blogger.

Thing is, this is a side blog. It should have low stats. Because this is a place of neglectful blogging.

Over the past month of non-neglectful blogging, the stats have gone up 105%. See what blogging every day can do?

But blogging every day is also a lot of work. And I'm looking forward to receding back into a restful, statistically unimpressive state. Sure, I'll still blog here. Like I always have— when I feel like it.

Generally, I don't feel like it nearly as much as I do over at Seedlings in Stone, where I blog about writing, art, poetry and other stuff. I don't even blog as much here as I do over at Love Notes to Yahweh, where I explore spiritual practice and am currently chronicling an art pilgrimage.

So it comes to this. Stats can tell you things. But the most important thing to know is your heart. What do you feel like writing about and why? Do you want the whole world reading you, or a few good friends?

This particular blog has long been geared towards a small audience. Soon it will go back to its tiny roots. Which is probably for the best. After all, Cassandra has been put on a list of hernia candidates (due to abdominal trauma caused by laughter).

Not to worry though. It has been fun to try out a little humorous writing. So I will risk injury (Cassandra's) to sometimes come here and invite you to smile.

RELATED POSTS
LL's Day 1: Bambi in the Database, Day 2: The Dalai Lama Effect, Day 3: Darren Rowse, Please Link to Me, Day 4: Oprah, I Wanna Be Like You, Day 5: Email a Blog Reader, Day 6: Shakespeare and Company's Top 24 Blog Tips, Day 7: How Do I Love Thee, Let Me Link the Ways, Day 8: Entertaining Aliens, Day 9: Meet Me at the Mother Ship, Day 10: My Dog Ate Darren Rowse's Google Alerts, Day 11: Hey, Darren, It's My Turn, Day 12: Darren Gets on the Scale,, Day 13: I Will Not Be Swayed by Sales on Boxer Shorts, Day 14: Update a Key Page, Day 15: Honk if You Like, I Prefer Cake, Day 16: Buy a Velvet Couch, Day 17: Pretend Your Blog is a Barbie, Day 18: Gesundheit! Day 19: Maureen, Hope You Don't Mind, Day 20: Leave Comments on Other Blogs, Day 21: Foretelling the Future, Day 22: Pay Special Attention to a Reader, Day 23: He Told Me to Tell You, Day 24: Adding Shirtless Men to My Blog, Day 25: 10 Reasons to Ask Your Readers Questions, Day 26: Improve Another Blog, Day 27: Hunting for Links, or Chocolate, Day 28: I Wish to Report a Stolen Review, Day 29: Now You're Profiling
ProBlogger's Day 30: Learn from Your Blog Stats
Paul's 31 Days to Build a Better Blog Project

COMING TOMORROW
Become a Big Blogger, a companion to ProBlogger's Day 31: Plan Your Next Steps


Would you like to follow Bambi's efforts at better blogging? Here's a button, if you like :)

31 Days to Better Blogging




  • 100-Plus Flowers photo by L.L. Barkat.

    Labels: ,

  • 8 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm going to miss reading here everyday. You are fun and I like how you write. Just don't let it become and still blog sometimes, keep it consistent like once a week on the Thursday or something. Point being I'm going to miss reading if you're not writing. Take care.

    11:46 AM  
    Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

    Becky, you're sweet. No worries about me writing. I write all the time. Between the three blogs there's something for almost everyday.

    I enjoyed this project but it was hard not to be able to take a day off.

    Anyway, I'm thinking of doing a 30 days to Stress-Free Living here (got the book from the library), but I might do it in 5 days or 60. :)

    11:49 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cool L.L. Barkat I'll have to follow your other blogs too! 30 Days to Stress Free Living sounds great too.

    3:03 PM  
    Blogger Cassandra Frear said...

    Now this is fascinating. 105%???

    I was recently advised by one other writer to post less often on the Moonboat because readers burn out when you post every day. Then they leave. That's what this person was told.

    Hmm. I guess it all depends. So do you think the Moonboat ought to post every day?

    And you'll like my post today on the 4 Life Lessons I've learned from blogging.

    3:12 PM  
    Blogger Cassandra Frear said...

    One more thing.

    Pause to consider how much fun you have had with this. Maybe there is a gift for humor writing in your soul.

    I'd co-author such a project with you. We could call it "Present, Not Perfect: Why Writers Get Tense" But then, I'm not very funny.

    Or am I? You decide.

    3:14 PM  
    Anonymous Scott Ayres said...

    The project was hard for me.. I took off days 11-25!! oops.. just got side tracked.. but blogged every day this week and feel alive again!!

    I'll be following you to see what you blog about!

    5:14 PM  
    Blogger Maureen said...

    Just one question: If you'd done this in February, would Darren still have insisted on 31 days?

    Just asking. . .

    6:15 PM  
    Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

    Cassandra... not hard to achieve when your readership is 2. (Just kidding. It really did add up to hundreds more visitors). I don't like to post that frequently; I do think it can be asking a lot of one's faithful readers, and I prefer a smaller engaged community to a larger in-and-out kind of thing with little sense of connection to one another. And thanks for the encouragement on the humor thing. I'm thinking I'll make room for it here on a more regular basis now that it's come to the surface. You funny? Yup. :)

    Scott... way to take a siesta!! :)

    Maureen... oh goodness, lol. :)

    7:43 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home