1.5.10

31 Days to Build a Better Blog: Bambi in the Database

Granada cat

I figure that Paul Steinbrueck probably laughed out loud when he saw my database entry.

I'm doing his 31 Days to Build a Better Blog, and part of the deal is to blog every day for 31 days, doing exercises from a book called (not surprisingly) 31 Days to Build a Better Blog.

The other part of the deal is to tell Paul your blog stats. I figure that's the part where he laughed out loud— not so much because low stats are a source of amusement, but because I also rated myself as an '8' in blogging expertise (on a scale of 1-10).

I figure Paul pictured me as a bit of a Bambi blogger— saying I know the ice, then showing him my leg-tangled stats that prove otherwise.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with giving somebody you just met a good laugh. Though, for the sake of pride, I followed up with an email to say that this-here blog is just a little side-blog, and could he stop convulsing now, because I could feel the vibrations all the way over here in New York, and it was making the neighborhood nervous, since, technically, we live on a fault line, and you can imagine the visions of destruction he was causing.

Paul graciously ignored that part of the email altogether, and welcomed me to the project.

I will say this... the skeptic in me knows that for 31 days my stats will go up, and then within a few months of side-bloggy neglect, the stats will go right back down to their laughable level.

But at least Paul will think I showed myself to be an '8' blogger. And that might just be worth the 31-day ride.


Cat Going Somewhere photo, by Sonia B, age 9. Used with permission.


Would you like to follow Bambi's efforts at better blogging? Here's a button, if you like :)

31 Days to Better Blogging




  • RELATED
    ProBlogger's Day 1: Write an Elevator Pitch for Your Blog (as you can see, Bambi has already been non-compliant, choosing instead to write about database amusement)
    Paul's 31 Days to Build a Better Blog Project and Day 1: The Elevator Pitch
    LL's Julia Cameron Meets ProBlogger

    COMING TOMORROW
    31 Days to Build a Better Blog: The Dalai Lama Effect, for Day 2: Write a List Post

    Labels: , , ,

  • 13 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    LOL! You crack me up LL! I wouldn't expect you to start off a new project like this in any other way!

    I'm looking forward to this project! It should be a really cool experience for all of us!

    9:14 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Am sure I can make you feel better with my blog stats, doubt if my best day has ever been more than 30 except once I mentioned the Dalai Lama and Tibet. I determined then that the key to more visitors was name-dropping and a current news item... but I wasn't really into that so there's just folks who drop by when I give them a nudge. :)

    I am not sure that 31 days of my spilling all that wanders through my brain would be a good thing for the human race, but who knows... I don't usually get a lot of followers when I do that, they just don't seem to care - or at least they don't comment.

    Could try again, and see though.

    9:17 PM  
    Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

    Dan, you are just wonderfully easy to please. :) I thought of calling this "31 Snarky Days to Build a Better Blog." But I didn't want to set the bar too high. :)

    Melissa, the people who matter for you will care! That's funny about the Dalai Lama. I will try to remember to put him in my next post. ;-) That and a current event. Let's see what I can dream up.

    9:21 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    LOL LL... let the snarkiness begin!

    Melissa, I agree with LL! And the materials do quite a bit more than just tell you to telling you to "spill all that wanders". It really looks like an exciting project! I'd love to see more of what comes out of it from bloggers like yourself!

    9:36 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Re caring and commenting, or even dropping by - I think it is probably a lot like what is said here... http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2010/04/david-byrne-is-angry-with-me.html ...folks are busy and full of other things, and they want what they want. I sort of get that these days.

    9:42 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    I know (Dan)... think I was responding to LL's comments here and on Seedlings in Stone - Cameron's advice to just write about something, anything, everyday. I am good at throwing everything in one basket. Will follow along and see how it goes. :)

    2:12 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You know LL, when u first commented on my blog I was like "What??" But I love ur sense of humor, and to be honest I'll probably enjoy reading this blog more than the "official" stuff you mentioned on ourchurch :) glad to "meet you"

    9:28 AM  
    Anonymous Paul Steinbrueck said...

    Hey LL, I'm sorry but I'm afraid I didn't laugh at your stats. Maybe I need a new sense of humor, or perhaps spending several hours a day providing people with technical support I have grown accustom to people suffering from self-dillusions. ;)

    But I presume you must know something about blogging to have a fancy title like "Managing Editor of HighCallingBlogs.com" Then again I suppose you could have paid someone off.

    Anyways, I'm glad you're doing the 31 Days project with us. And I look forward to getting to know you and your special kind of humor during this project. ;)

    2:36 PM  
    Anonymous Paul Steinbrueck said...

    Doh, I should add, even if I didn't laugh at your "8" I did laugh at this post. :)

    2:37 PM  
    Blogger kathryn siranosian said...

    Great post! Looking forward to reading (and chuckling) more during 31dbbb ...AND beyond!

    3:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    :-) Like your writting style. Will keep coming during the next 31 days, and maybe even more. New York, seems like along way from here, should be interesting.

    3:22 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just lie like most pastors do about the size of their congregations when it comes to stats of who reads your blog. Really glad the 31 days project has brought us together. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier! Blessings, Nolan

    5:20 PM  
    Blogger Erica M said...

    I followed you here from Nolan's blog after you left a comment in his space. It'll be fun spending the next 31 days meeting new bloggers even though it'll mean 6000 different spam deterrents in the comments. Argh. Glad to meet you.

    5:48 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home