31 Days to Build a Better Blog: Shakespeare and Company's Top 24 Blog Tips
My tummy hurts from too much laughing, or maybe it's the Intestinal Housecleaning Project. Seriously, today's post is a little calmer. I needed that for my physical well-being.
So for ProBlogger's Day 6: Must-Read Tips and Tutorials for Bloggers, I'm sharing a little wisdom from Shakespeare & Company (some of you are the company. :) Please note that Shakespeare never used the word blog, so, yeah, the quotes have been... updated.
Shakespeare and Company's Top 24 Blog Tips
1. Words without thoughts never go to blog heaven—Shakespeare, Hamlet
2. Bloggers of few words are the best bloggers—Shakespeare, Henry V
3. Heat not a furnace for your blogging foe so hot that it do singe yourself—Shakespeare, Henry VIII
4. Passion, I see, is catching—Shakespeare, Julius Caesar
5. Mincing bloggery 'tis like the forc'd gait of a shuffling nag—Shakespeare, Henry IV
6. Truly, I would the gods had made the blogger poetical—Shakespeare, As You Like It
7. Rest, rest, perturbed blogger—Shakespeare, Hamlet
8. Come, give us a taste of your blog quality—Shakespeare, Hamlet
9. Blogger, be not too tame neither—Shakespeare, Hamlet
10. No profit grows where is no pleasure ta'en; in brief, blogger, blog what you most affect—Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew
11. An honest post speeds best being plainly told—Shakespeare, Richard III
12. The good blogger shall be more beloving than beloved—Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra
13. The good blogger makes hungry where she most satisfies—Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra
14. How many blog posts satisfy
How many are enough and more
You ask me... I reply...
As many as the stars above
—Catallus, "How Many Kisses"
15. Had we but world enough, and time,
This coyness, blogger, were no crime
—Andrew Marvell, "To His Coy Mistress"
16. If you want to be a successful blogger, then you have to... (drum roll)...post—Chris Branscome, of PrayerExperiment
17. Fool, says the blogger's Muse, look in thy heart and write—Philip Sidney, "Loving in Truth"
18. Melo's thoughts, on what NOT to do on a blog
19. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good comments. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see Day 31 approaching. (Hebrews 10:24-25, NIBV) New International Blogger's Version —Kevin of Cowboy Ministries
20. Blogging is a conversation. If we aren't having one, it's not sustainable — Cassandra Frear of Moonboat Cafe
21. Who shall hear of us bloggers
in the time to come?
Let him say there was
a burst of fragrance
from black branches
—William Carlos Williams, "Love Song"
22. The good blogger speaks always in her own voice
Even to strangers; but those other bloggers
Exercise their borrowed, or false, voices
— Robert Graves, "The Portrait"
23. To teach is to learn twice. Dan King's wisdom, learned from a Snapple cap. Says Dan, "When I apply this to blogging, I believe I learn much more when I go through the process of sharing on a topic with others."
24. And whoever desires to be 'first blogger' among you, let him be your servant. (Matt. 20:27, NIBV) R. Sipes, of Daily Discipleship
OutTakes (or, some people I asked, but they were too shy to give any must-read advice)
I specialize in unsolicited advice—Katdish
Me? I'm full of tips. On all sorts of things. I just can't get anyone to listen to me—Stephanie Wetzel
And, to end our attempt at blog tipping, we say together...
If we bloggers have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumbered here
While this blog post did appear.
—Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
LL's Day 1: Bambi in the Database, Day 2: The Dalai Lama Effect, Day 3: Darren Rowse, Please Link to Me, Day 4: Oprah, I Wanna Be Like You, Day 5: Email a Blog Reader
ProBlogger's Day 6: Must-Read Tips and Tutorials for Bloggers
Paul's 31 Days to Build a Better Blog Project
How Do I Love Thee, Let Me Link the Ways, a companion to ProBlogger's Write a Link Post.
Would you like to follow Bambi's efforts at better blogging? Here's a button, if you like :)