12.5.10

31 Days to Build a Better Blog: Entertaining Aliens

redwoods

I like to think of the Search Engines as aliens. After all, we call them "bots," "web crawlers," "web spiders" and other terms of alien endearment.

Okay, that is not quite fair. Maybe Search Engines are one up on the food chain from aliens. Some of them, early on, were named after comic books. Seriously. Archie (not so named) was followed by Jughead and Veronica (so named).

Still, today, we're afraid that Google will take over the world, maybe landing its alien ship on the White House before the final Apocalypse. Tell me you have never once considered that possibility. It could happen. The word Google sounds vaguely like the word ogle which has definite connections to the word peer, which, if you think about it is not so far off from the word spy.

I'm telling you. Google is Invasion of the Body Snatchers. (Remember, the pods drifted through space! Google is part of cyberspace! The evidence is all there.)

But I want you to put that aside and think of today's task in nicer terms. Part of your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to Entertain Aliens. Which, translated, means, be nice to the Search Engines by InterLinking Your Old Blog Posts.

If you don't like the idea of being nice to aliens, then pretend you are mounting your own guerilla force within the alien infrastructure. Doing so provides...

1. Usefulness to Readers (they can't get enough of you)

2. SEO (a.k.a. Search Engine Optimization, otherwise known as the world can't get enough of you)

3. Increased Page Views (like I said before, readers can't get enough of you)

If you will kindly notice, I have been in boot camp since the beginning of the 31 Days Project, because I have been interlinking to each of my 31 Days Project previous posts.

Okay, I did not do that on Day 1. This is a sign of interlinking humility. Or the fact that it was the first post. Or just plain laziness. Because I'm not looking back. I will do that on Day 32, when I interlink in one final apocalyptic attempt to take over the 31 Day Project Google World.

(Meet me at the Mother Ship. Bring your links. No ray guns allowed.)

RELATED POSTS
LL's Day 1: Bambi in the Database, Day 2: The Dalai Lama Effect, Day 3: Darren Rowse, Please Link to Me, Day 4: Oprah, I Wanna Be Like You, Day 5: Email a Blog Reader, Day 6: Shakespeare and Company's Top 24 Blog Tips, Day 7: How Do I Love Thee, Let Me Link the Ways
ProBlogger's Day 7: InterLink Your Old Blog Posts
Paul's 31 Days to Build a Better Blog Project

COMING TOMORROW
Meet Me at the Mother Ship, a companion to ProBlogger's Join a Forum and Start Participating.


Would you like to follow Bambi's efforts at better blogging? Here's a button, if you like :)

31 Days to Better Blogging


  • Labels: , ,

  • 5 Comments:

    Blogger Laura said...

    Hey, I did this today! And I hadn't even read your post yet. I think I linked to two of my old posts. Maybe three.

    Do I get a gold star?

    1:07 PM  
    Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

    Two gold stars, my dear. One for just being wonderful you. :)

    1:47 PM  
    Blogger Kevin said...

    Thank you so much...I had seen a lot of stuff on SEO but I thought it meant "Scream Excitedly Often". Maybe that's why I am on page 35,906,213 of a google search and my throat hurts.

    www.campfirecowboyministries.com

    (Maybe that will help)

    3:00 PM  
    Anonymous Scott said...

    That's kinda funny.. But just to point something out you didn't really interlink your posts. Where you said "Day 1" at the end would have been a good spot to link to your first post.. just a thought..

    Also I would recommend you get Intense Debate for your blog. Makes it easier for readers to leave a comment..

    3:48 PM  
    Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

    Scott, just curious... do you not consider all the "Related Posts" as interlinking? Sorry it's hard to comment. All the more honored that you did. :)

    Kevin... smiling here :)

    4:15 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home