14.5.10

31 Days to Build a Better Blog: My Dog Ate Darren Rowse's Google Alerts

Watching the World Go By

Day 10. One-third of the way back to a life of neglectful blogging. But who's counting? :)

Today's advice is about setting up alerts. I only bother with Google Alerts. But you could also do Twitter Alerts.

Setting up an alert is akin to eavesdropping. Someone talks about you, links to you, you get an email to that effect. And you can act accordingly (some of my friends have discovered whole blogs that were stealing their content, but most alerts are just good news. Like when someone links to my book Stone Crossings, that's good news, and I like to say "thank you" for their kindness.)

Anyway, here are...

6 Reasons You Should Follow the Internet Grapevine (Set up Industry and Vanity Alerts on Google and Twitter)

1. Recently, my 10-year-old said, "the further the grapevine descendent, the juicier the grape."

She makes me laugh. Darren Rowse gives us five less comically-expressed reasons...

2. Get ideas for posts

3. Be aware of breaking news

4. Build your profile and perceived expertise

5. Network

6. Manage your reputation (some of us are, btw, completely unmanageable)

This is all fine and good, but I just want to say that I think my dog must have eaten Darren Rowse's alerts, because Darren hasn't stopped by even once to say how annoying I am, using his name in vain again and again.

(Darren, this is L.L. at the Google door. Are you in there? Darren? Darren? Oh, Daaaaaaaaaaaarren... :)


RELATED POSTS
LL's Day 1: Bambi in the Database, Day 2: The Dalai Lama Effect, Day 3: Darren Rowse, Please Link to Me, Day 4: Oprah, I Wanna Be Like You, Day 5: Email a Blog Reader, Day 6: Shakespeare and Company's Top 24 Blog Tips, Day 7: How Do I Love Thee, Let Me Link the Ways, Day 8: Entertaining Aliens, Day 9: Meet Me at the Mother Ship
ProBlogger's Monitor What's Happening in Your Niche
Paul's 31 Days to Build a Better Blog Project

COMING MONDAY
Hey, Darren, It's My Turn, a companion to ProBlogger's Come Up With 10 Blog Post Ideas.


Would you like to follow Bambi's efforts at better blogging? Here's a button, if you like :)

31 Days to Better Blogging




  • Someone Else's Dog, photo by L.L. Barkat.

    Labels: , ,

  • 8 Comments:

    Blogger Cassandra Frear said...

    I think I am one of the completely unmanageable.

    But you knew that.

    Cake?

    8:15 AM  
    Blogger Cheryl said...

    You can borrow my dog if you want. Helpful is my middle name.

    10:36 AM  
    Blogger R. Sipes said...

    "eavesdropping" don't we all love to do that? And when it's eavesdropping on who's talking about you--even better!

    11:14 AM  
    Anonymous Maureen said...

    We owned an English bulldog once. Let me tell you, he could not have cared less about giving or getting alerts. He was all instinct and highly protective of turf. And boy ("Boy" was his name, btw) did he know how to manage his reputation! He just needed to show a few teeth and lunge.

    2:51 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    You must be getting an alert re my compulsive linking every day. I hope it increases something for you, other than annoyance.

    It became habitual.

    I link between my blogs, it makes me feel someone is reading. Oh, look... a connection... oh, it's her, again. She never says anything. Slovenly link lurker.

    PS pls do not sic the bulldog on me.

    3:50 PM  
    Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

    Cassandra... yup. :)

    Cheryl... you are so cool!! :

    R Sipes... as long as they are saying something nice :)

    Maureen... too funny. :)

    Melissa... actually I'm not seeing them, unless you mention the keywords I'm tracking (my name, my blog name, my books' names :) There are other mechanisms for watching just links, but I don't really use them since they're more complicated (in other words, not delivered to my door by email :) But THANK YOU. I feel loved. :)

    4:05 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    I love that picture.

    7:04 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the analogy that an alert = eavesdropping.

    I've set up alerts before now and the only response I get is for my own posts and links ... goes to show my niche is a niche of 1.

    3:40 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home