Easy Chickpea Soup (or what to make when the holidays have totally tired you out)
I said I'd see you in the New Year. I obviously underestimated the power of a simple recipe to bring me here... so I could share it with my fellow tired-from-the-holiday bloggers.
This is a variation on a Greek soup which uses fresh rosemary and lemon juice (which you too can use if it's what's in your kitchen, in place of the fennel and vinegar).
As for me, I poked around in my herb garden and found fresh fennel growing under the leaf mulch. Here's what happened...
Easy Chickpea Soup
Saute until barely brown...
• 1/2 onion, chopped
Add and simmer several minutes...
• chickpeas (2 cans or 1 1/2 cups dried and cooked); mash some of the chickpeas to thicken soup
• chickpea water or if using canned, vegetable broth to cover
Add and simmer about 1 minute more...
• a few asparagus, chopped (I used leftovers)
• few sprigs fresh fennel, chopped
• dash sugar
• few dashes brown rice vinegar
• dash to 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
• sea salt to taste
• black pepper to taste
Drop in a TB of butter.
This tasted really good with leftover challah bread and butter. And I like raisins, so I threw a few into my soup! An apple salad would be a great compliment too, except I didn't have the energy to make it.