9.12.09

$10 Challenge: Will They Eat the Bunnies?

World Vision Catalog

A FREE cup of coffee for $20? How could I resist? Maybe if I took the $10 challenge, I'd get lucky too...

Okay, so I've been looking for opportunities to bless somebody with just $10 this Christmas season. Nothing really moved me.

Then I got the World Vision Gift catalog in the mail. And I knew. I'd give my two girls each $10 to spend. Or they could combine their efforts with a $20 gift. We would decline the in-honor-of-gift-cards from World Vision and just do it to do it.

It soon became apparent that inflation has hit the do-good gift world. Most items in the catalog were at least $20; it didn't seem fair to make the girls choose one gift together after promising the possibility of each choosing her own.

No worries, maybe I could get an even bigger cup of coffee for FREE if I spent more. $20 per girl. That should do it.

We talked bunnies (oh wait, Sonia worried, they might get eaten!). We talked chickens; chickens are good. Eggs and all. They might not reproduce though, which would limit the reach of the gift (okay, without a rooster the chances are pretty slim on the we'll-make-more issue).

Sara finally decided she wanted to give art and music supplies, in line with her love for these things. But Sonia was still undecided. Bunnies facing extinction? Seeds that might be genetically modified? (Yeah, even the underaged of the household here think on these things.) Or... what about... fruit trees?

Mangoes. Oranges. Shade. Seedlings to make more fruit trees for more families. All from 5 fruit trees for... $30 (now I had to pretend that I had allotted myself $10 too and that I'd pool mine with Sonia's $20).

Only I could do math like this. Art and music and fruit, for a $10 challenge, for a grand total of $50. All things considered it seems like a bargain. And besides, I'm going to get that free cup of coffee. Now all I have to do is fly to Texas for it.


World Vision Catalog photo, by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Billy Coffey said...

I'm not much on most forms of math. But multiplication? That's my favorite. And that's what you and your daughters have done. You've struck a stone against the hardness of the world. Now watch the ripples move.

5:49 PM  
Blogger katdish said...

Get out! I got that same catalog! I think that's an awesome idea. And while I would love for you to come visit me in Texas, I'm sure there are plenty of suckers, er, generous souls right there in NY. Then again, it's been awhile since I've been there...

6:00 PM  
Blogger SimplyDarlene said...

Drawing, singing or painting while eating a juicy mango beneath a shade tree... sounds like a lovely gift that will be received time and again.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home