25.11.09

Increase Your Blog Traffic: Top 5 Book Rec's

Trust Agents Book

"He's a great writer. Smart. He should have a wider blog reach. Any ideas?"

This is the kind of question I've been asked many times over.

I often write long emails in response. Because increasing blog traffic isn't simple.

Okay, it's not hard either, for the blogger who is evocative, funny, or some kind of "expert." Still, there are principles and fascinating case studies and techniques and... you get the idea.

To save me from long emails, what I really need is a post to point to that says, "Here are my top five book recommendations that will answer your question. I promise if you read these books you will increase your blog traffic. If not exponentially, at least respectably."

Thus, this post. When I was a wee little blogger (and in many ways I still am! :), these were the books I read that changed everything for me. All right, one is a book I'm reading RIGHT NOW, because... well, I'm still interested in new ideas on the subject.

Here goes, without much explanation...

1. Naked Conversations: How Blogs are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers. This is the very first blogging book I ever read, right before I started a blog. It helped convince me that blogging was the way to go. It's a great foundational resource. Lots of tips.

2. Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations. Cool ideas and case studies about being part of groups. Which every blogger really needs to be (unless the blogger has no interest in increasing blog traffic).

3. And Then There's This: How Stories Live and Die in Viral Culture. Fascinating stories about stories and web experiments that have gone viral. It'll spark your creativity. At least that's what it did for me.

4. Viral Loop: From Facebook to Twitter, How Today's Smartest Businesses Grow Themselves. What Penenberg did to promote this book is as good as the book itself. Really.

5. Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust. A lot of this is just good business sense, framed for the web. Still worth a read. (Okay, and favorite advice from the book: promote others 12 times as much as you do yourself.)

Curious... have you read any of these? What do you think? Any others you'd recommend, so I'd have to change the title of this post to the top 6 or 7 or... ?


Trust Agents photo, by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well- how many blogs do you actually have, LL? This is a new one for me.

Great advice. The only comment I would add is - it's a lot of work!! So be prepared!

BTW, I will look forward to moving from online to real-life community with you when we meet up next week in person!

2:59 PM  
Blogger elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Great tips/books. I'd like to increase my traffic on the blog but honestly don't have a clue how to do it. Sometimes I feel as if my thoughts/words get lost in it all. I've done a lot of soul searching along these lines; I'm tired in many ways. I just want to write and to have the process be enough. In many ways, I've reached that end, but every now and again, it seems as if it should all be something more.

Thanks for his shot in the arm.

peace~elaine

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home