18.8.11

Portfolio on Demand

Princess Pea 7

So it's official. My girl will still be home for high school, but she'll be "attending" the Laurel Springs Gifted and Talented Academy.

On Monday, the Academy asked me for a description of Sara's 8th-grade year (scope, sequence, assessment explanations, quarterly reports, complete with samples for every quarter for every subject, standardized test scores).

Um. :)

Because I'm an unschooler more than a classical schooler, and because I live in a State that doesn't require portfolios as part of the reporting structure, I was overwhelmed by the request.

I spent more than seventeen hours gathering materials, writing descriptions, trying to find my old teacher certificates in the attic. I took a day and a half off from work to make it happen (including a 5 am rising because my mind was racing over the question of where to find all the "proof" I needed).

When it was all said and done, I actually felt a great sense of accomplishment. But it sure was intensive.

Watching this process, my sweet second daughter decided that she's going to keep a portfolio, so we don't face this kind of thing in two years when perhaps she'll do a similar kind of program. I appreciate that. :)

Since I spent so much time on the whole thing, I wanted to share with you just one section of the Art portfolio I created: an excerpt of Sara's Princess and the Pea graphic novel.

Let's just say, I identified with the Princess's sleepless night (check her out below)...

Princess Pea 1

Princess Pea 2

Princess Pea 3

Princess Pea 4

Princess Pea 5

Princess Pea 6

Princess Pea 7

Princess Pea 8

Princess Pea 9

Princess Pea 10

Princess Pea 11

Princess Pea 12

Princess Pea 13

Phew. :)


Graphic Novel by Sara Barkat, at age 13.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Sara's graphic novel is marvelous. I hope she create a limited edition artist's book. I'll be first in line for a copy.

Congratulations, Sara!

And a special call-out for Laura. I would have loved to have been unschooled by you.

8:57 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Maureen, thanks. I love it too. But she hasn't actually finished it, and she may never. (Ah, the down side of a free-creative household! :)

Thanks so much for your words. I was hoping that I could be forgiven a little indulgence here, with my great pleasure about her.

As for you and I. Well, I think we may be unschooling each other somehow, here in this cyberspace we share. :)

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

I've copied the link to this post and sent it to my daughters who drink graphic novels each day like smoothies. They are going to slurp this up.

(And maybe be inspired to try something of their own.)

Congratulations on finding a wonderful fit for your daughter!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

She's so talented, Laura! This is so fun!

I hope you have caught up on your sleep since putting this together.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Damoff said...

What a gifted artist! Reminds me of the artwork in Le Petit Prince. Congratulations on pulling everything together. Can't wait to hear about her adventures in the days ahead.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home