2.6.11

Save Money: Eat Your Lawn

dandelion greens

Yesterday, my Littlest was fidgety, walking in circles. Sometimes that drives me crazy. But I've been trying to think about her differently— as a person who is the best person for the job... any job that requires movement.

So I sent her out to the lawn to rescue the dandelion leaves before I mowed. A rescue mission captured her imagination.

I saved money by not buying more $5 organic baby greens (yeah, I live in New York where everything costs more, and yeah there are a few stray left-over baby greens in the salad above). We had a greater nutritious herbaceous offering alongside dinner. (As one friend of mine puts it, "Grocery store lettuce won't cure anything.")

A win, win, win situation. As long as you don't mind eating dandelion leaves :).

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

How strange. My Westie Jack yesterday did exactly the same thing yesterday, walking round and round my desk chair as I tried to work. I decided he must have been experiencing a premonition of the big storm that came later in the afternoon. I would have loved to have sent him out to pick up my dinner. Given our 90-105 degree temp (welcome to D.C. in summer), a salad would have been just the thing.

2:32 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Omg, Maureen, you crack me up! :)

Yes, must get a chef Westie. That's just the thing. :)

3:50 PM  
Blogger Jennwith2ns said...

I personally would like to teach my dog, Oscar (cockapoo) to walk on my back to get the knots out . . .

As for dandelions, I wish I indeed DIDN'T mind eating them, but I have a very hard time getting them down.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Yes. I was in the mountains for twelve days just a bit ago--watched ground-squirrels delightedly stuffing their maws with dandelions. So enthusiastic were they that I decided to do it too. Tasty. Then rubbed the flowers all over my body for streaks of light, rays of dandelion sunshine. The meadow didn't seem to mind, and I convinced the squirrels there were plenty to share, that we could spare a few for painting the world brighter.

12:11 AM  
Blogger twinners said...

Love your post...except that if we ate our lawn, we, too, would die! There is absolutely nothing green here, unless you spend ten times more than the grocery store just watering!
I'd love to eat my lawn, too! Really would.
Our daughter is in Akron, NY, and she has a gorgeous garden...sigh!
It was a nice thought and the pix was very enticing!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home