22.4.11

Making Facebook Work for You

TS Poetry Press on Facebook

I admit I hadn't figured out Facebook. Until yesterday.

Because I don't display my face there, and I don't use it as a way to keep up with old friends and family, I've been a little stymied. The place is called FACEbook after all, and I hadn't found a way to show my face— at least not a way that intrigued and challenged me. (Don't get me wrong; I love the little chats I have with you, but that's not something I can plan. :)

Then yesterday I started a page for T. S. Poetry Press. And I've been trying to discipline myself all morning, to stick to only three updates. (That seems more than enough for a day.)

Only time will tell if this is a passing fancy, but for now I'm excited by the thought of creating a place (a face?) that shares...

• short-and-sweet daily writing tips
• great info on the business of small-press publishing
• ideas for practicing poetry
• guides to where you can get published
• fun writing projects
• and just some really good stuff to think about in the world of poetry and writing

I told someone the other day that the Internet has become a place of minor fatigue for me. I think it's because there's so much to look at, that's not necessarily connected to a face, a persona. This new Facebook place? It's me, picking the best for you. Maybe that could give us both a little rest, in its way.

How about you? Are you using Facebook to share your most excited face? To be a place of rest for yourself and others?

I'm going to try. And I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe even in a status update... on Facebook :).
____

(If you like, come follow T. S. on Facebook. :)

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I like this. It reminds me of Jeffrey Overstreet's approach to Facebook, which is to continually point us to good stuff.

My Facebook? I use it to:

- share helpful articles
- link to places likes blogs, and The High Calling
- start conversations
- keep tabs on family
- stalk friends, even the ones without faces :)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Dan King said...

i LOVE this LL! #fistbump

9:33 AM  
Blogger David Rupert said...

My facebook presence is minimal. I've accumulated hundreds of "friends" but i dont' chat with them, play games with them, or post photos of birthday cakes.

I'm a bad facebooker

9:47 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I rarely use FB except to post informational items.

I like that you've set up a page for TSPP.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Overby said...

This is my happy face. If you could only see my timeline - so many interesting things pass through, straight to my heart. I love twitter also, but most my fb friends aren't 'on'......yet. :) I hide the ---lasagne for dinner, gamers, and change the diaper status updates.

I have interesting conversations and have met some incredible people both places. I also have deleted some controversial argumentative responses~ when I wasn't after an argument, but a conversation.

It is also a way to endorse, support, and showcase - people do look at the 'pages' you 'like'.....it creates a connection.

Face to face is best. I agree.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

Maybe if I had a thing--like TS Poetry--to use as my Facebook portal, then I'd like it. As it is, I deactivated my account because I felt like I'd been teleported back to high school, and I have no interest in reliving that part of my life for another minute. I know other people have found it incredibly rewarding, including most of my extended family.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LL.. I have been enjoying what you are doing on FB. your vision has enhanced me greatly. I do think 'we' as a society make too big of a deal of what we share or don't share, as if it is a true litmus of our character. Conversation and community are what we make it. Thank you for continually lifting up the beauty of these things.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home