5.2.11

I Need a Simple Conversation Starter

pussywillows

I loved this brief article about Conversation Starters. And I still plan to buy the book it references. Seems to me it could be a good way to teach kids how to engage in their own attempts at the art of conversation.

In the meantime though, I decided I need a simple conversation starter. One that could make us laugh and think. So I've turned to TED talks.

It's only been a week, but my girls are already hooked. "Which TED talk are we going to listen to tonight?" they beam.

I leave the computer in the kitchen, turn the speakers towards the dining room, and it's like going back in time... to radio days. We listen, we laugh (the other night we cried).

And when it's all over, the conversation spills out non-stop. It's invigorating.

So far, one of our favorites was J. K. Rowling's discussion of the fringe benefits of failure. Frankly, I don't think any parental talk I could have given would have gone as far as that one graduation speech crafted for Harvard graduates. My Eldest sat wide-eyed, taking it all in.

Do you need a simple conversation starter too? An after-dinner TED might just be your answer.


(Note: some of the TED talks include very serious, potentially too-mature material. Watch first. My girls are 11 and 13, and I don't regret having listened to Rowling's talk with them, but you might feel differently about such things. :)

J.K. Rowling Speaks at Harvard Commencement from Harvard Magazine on Vimeo.




Simplify

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

My husband introduced me to TED Talks several years ago. The offerings often are marvelous.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

L.L. I loved this and teared often in the second half. A sermon really that could be delivered without violating any laws but nonetheless with incredible impact.

As a side note, I am still trying to figure out how many blogs you have and what each offers...I can't pick a favorite!

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Cheryl Smith said...

I go through spurts of watching TED Talks and then not. Maybe part of simplicity is consistency, but I'll think about that later.

What a great idea to use these with our kids like the radio days. We do that some, with various You Tube videos and blogs, but Ted Talks would definitely take it up a notch!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home