12.3.11

I Need a Simple Signal

tea 3

Signaling is a technique successful leaders use to connect with various audiences— while speaking to what may look like, on the surface, one homogenous audience.

If you ask me, signaling is itself a sign. That a person has learned to work with words in an optimal way. Some people might call this "spin," and I suppose it could be. I prefer to call it wisdom, savvy, and skill.

This week over at TheHighCalling.org, Marcus called us to work with words through the practice of writing poetry. I can't think of a better way to develop a keen sense of language and learn the subtle art of signaling.

So, if you want a simple way to become a better leader, consider writing poetry. (Besides, all the cool business men are doing it.)

Words

stick in our throats,
when we haven't learned
to loosen them
with a little tea
and honey.




Simplify

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Cheryl Smith said...

Smiling at those words, and relating. Words stuck in my throat, in my heart, and me, too fearful too ... something... to release them. Busy? Fearful?

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

I was going to write a little poem in response, but my words stuck in my throat. So I'm going to pour a cup of tea.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Glynn said...

Words, too,
are signals,
honeyed
with thoughts,
floating
in a sea
of warm tea.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home