19.2.11

I Need a Simple Answer

sled

Yesterday I could feel it. That feeling I get when my life needs to take a turn. It's an uncomfortable feeling, because it isn't simple at all. It's just this amorphous blob of I don't know what needs to be different, but something does.

I was tempted to sit down and read, to fill up with more thoughts and avoid the feeling. Instead, I made a cup of Red Velvet tea and went outside. I continually underestimate the power of just sitting in the back yard and listening to the wind.

The snow, which had covered the grass so fully for the past month, was melting away. The air felt heavier than it has in a while, and there were more birds than I remember just a week ago. The red sled was dry, upside down on the porch. I thought about Laura Boggess's trampoline play.

Next thing I knew, I was whooshing down the short hill. Again and again. Something freed up inside me. A question bubbled to the surface. What do you love to do? Talk to people, I thought. Make things happen. Bring beauty into the world. It was the beginning of an answer, maybe to the larger question of what-needs-to-change. But it wasn't simple at all.

Right now, accepting that is the simplest thing I can do.


Simplify

Also, do you have a photo that obscures part of an object? Why not share it with TheHighCalling.org's PhotoPlay? You might also enjoy Ann Kroeker's Slow-Down Fast.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Amy Nabors said...

I've found myself wanting a simple answer knowing it will be anything but simple. I'm learning I must quiet myself to listen for the answers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so beautifully. I'm plannin to participate for the first time in the High Calling Focus this week.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

Love how Laura's playing posts inspired you!

I'm also quite interested in that red velvet tea.

11:28 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Republic of Tea. It's pretty good, kinda different, but I'm currently wowed by something called "Polka," from Betjeman and Barton :)

11:34 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

It is a difficult question, for me, this knowing what I am truly meant to do. I am eager to see where all of this leads you L.L. I have a feeling it will be something wonderful.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

Wheeeeee!

I think committing to time outside will be part of my Slow-Down Fast/Simplify Journey, as well. I may need to bring you with me on the next 40+ days (via God in the Yard). :)

Also, the Amaryllis photo in my post was my first attempt for photo-play/leave some mystery. I'm going to mess around with some people shots, as well.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Ah. What I wouldn't give for simple. But, I think I often confuse simple with easy and wish for the latter rather than see the simple that is already here and now. Simple is not necessarily easy, but ease is so tempting!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Stephie said...

LL, although I've never heard your voice, somehow I can hear a voice of what I think you may sound like. The reason I bring this up is that my sister and I have been listening to the audio book by Sydney Poitier, "Letters to My Great-Grand-Daughter", and I can picture you doing something like that, too, because your voice, your heart and soul, comes through so clear.;) Just thinkin'!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Amy Sullivan said...

Oh, that feeling of something needing to be different, but what? I know it well.

One of my favorite things to do is sit on my back deck, and watch the trees sway and bend. Sometimes their movement seems to soothe me.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous JoDee Luna said...

This post intrigued me. Your descriptions captivated me because you put into words how I often feel right before a directional life change. I came to the end of the post and thought, "What's going to happen next?" I hope there will be a part II.

10:19 PM  
Blogger SimplyDarlene said...

Oh but yes,
simple is the best.

And finding
that in Him
satisfies
the longing
and brings
rest.


Blessings.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I always feel this way when the season is about to change...I wonder if it is some kind of divine pull from the inside out? Life has been anything but simple these days, and though I envy you all in Cheryl and Ann's journeys, I know if I tried right now I might melt into a puddle somewhere. Just going with it. Seasons, you know? Love you, lady.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Bethe77 said...

Sledding sounds so much fun! I havent done that activity in many years. I think a trip to the mountian might be in the future plans. Blessing here from the Playdate with God hop

2:13 PM  
Blogger Deidra said...

I keep hearing this question in my head: "What do YOU want to do?" and I'm surprised that I don't know the answer. Maybe I need a bit of whooshing down the side of a snowy hill?

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Cheryl Smith said...

Do I recognize that red sled from God in the Yard? :)

I love that you and Laura are playing. I think I'm not as good at that as I'd like to be. Peter, on the other hand, plays all the time. He's definitely the fun dad.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home