29.1.11

I Need a Real Trash Can (on Simplifying My Life)

Snow Dunes

Maybe it is the snow. (And the snow, and the snow, and the snow.)

But I am feeling overwhelmed these days. So when Cheryl Smith started her mission to simplify, I was right there with her.

For the past two weeks I've been thinking about this issue of simplification, and I decided it comes down to simple things, like this: I need a real trash can. That little gray stripy thing on my Mac screen? Just not cutting it. I need a real canister I can throw real, unneeded, cluttery getting-me-down stuff into.

I need to throw away unsorted papers, empty pens, hair bands that have lost their elasticity.

You know what I mean, right? There is something greatly satisfying about transferring concrete objects from the counter to the can. Figuring out how to keep these things off the counter in the first place (and out of the sanitation system) is another matter.

But for now, I'm taking just 10 minutes a day to see the canister with the foot pedal as my friend. Maybe I will work up to the Indy 500 of Trash-Can Competitions. Though if you're going to challenge me to it, please make the entry form simple. :)


Simplify

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

I mentioned recently to my husband that we need to think about reclaiming our space, starting with the dining room table. I like the idea of doing this 10 minutes at a time. Sounds simple, right?

3:38 PM  
Blogger Michael Hale said...

So then it's not just me? And the 10 or 15 minutes a day idea really is a good idea? Whew... it's easy to get isolated by snow!

4:48 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Michael, lol. :) It's not just you.

Maureen, the other thing I've been doing is more along the lines of what you say... reclaiming one little space at a time... and sometimes that means tackling one pile, one piece of one corner, one drawer (or half of it, if it is daunting :)

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Cheryl Smith said...

Inch by inch, it's a cinch. Yard by yard, it's hard. Or something like that.

Creating brief moments to be attentive is a GREAT way to simplify, L. L. I'm so glad your participating in this journey!

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

Simplify with a trash can. I wish it were that easy. I see so many things on the flat surfaces of my bedroom and realize I have many decisions to make: give away? rearrange? trash?

But I need to take on some projects, because I do want to live more simply in my space.

11:55 PM  
Blogger David Rupert said...

the hardest thing for me to part with are books...
Everything else, it's off to-the- dump, to-the-dump, to-the-dump, to the dump, dump, dump!

1:05 PM  
Blogger S. Etole said...

I tried this yesterday ... 10 minutes went by far too quickly!

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, simply throw it in the trash. I debate and deliberate too much when I am getting rid of old things. Could I use it? Could someone else use it? Who gave it to me? Would they want it? That's good for some stuff. But some just needs to go in the trash.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home