3.4.10

All Kinds of Unexpected Things

Sonia and the Boat

National Poetry Month is beginning to inspire, beyond the expected. My friend Jim Martin decided to write his very first poem. My dad sent me a sweet poem by email, which pictured me as a little girl hanging out of windows (and I told him I think that little girl still lives, in a way :)

And Sonia decided she is going to write a poem a day every day for a year. We shall see! She's off to a good start, having written about 8 poems a day since we started National Poetry Month.

Here are just a few...

Butterfly

Let me take
wing with you,
fly with elegant
wings, let me touch
you, hold you, turn
myself into a butterfly
like you. So you can
show me to be
a winged creature
like you and fly
me to the paradise of
flowers and streams
and sunshine you told
about, please take me
there. I left my life
to be with you.


Only Light

The candle in the darkness
shines a lonesome light in my
tall tower of cold stone.
I try to get through the bars,
but the candle drops. No light
left to live by.


Stars

Stars glitter
in the sky.
Sometimes they
call people stars,
but why? Because they
shine? But there are
those things that
make them different.
Real stars live up in
the sky, real stars
don't shine in the day,
and are famous people
best friends with
the moon?

Poems by Sonia, 10. Used with permission. 'Sonia and Her Bark Boat' photo, by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonia is quite the talented little poet. I'm afraid my poetic offerings at that age were a little more, um, shallow. ;) Good for her!

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonia, as probably already know, you are a poet. I enjoy your words and your expression.

It seems that the fun that you have with words shines through in the words when i read them.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Your Sonia inspires...

And what beautiful hair she has!

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Maureen said...

Wonderful!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Overby said...

These living poems make me crave meeting the living
Butterfly Candle Sonia Girl. What a treat.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Marcus Goodyear said...

are famous people
best friends with
the moon?

That is a very good question.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home