11.4.12

The Business of Tea

Red Tea With Dried Fruit

Tea is big business in my house. So when I started experiencing adverse effects from caffeine, you can imagine my distress. My morning and afternoon ritual is indispensable!

What to do?

First, I determined that I'd allow myself my favorite French teas only on Mondays. Well, that took care of Monday. But it left six other days of tea-emptiness, which I refused to fill with Chamomile.

They say necessity is the mother of invention, and in this case it's true. I determined that I *must* create some exotic tea experiences to fill those other six days.

I've been experimenting, and today I found a little bit of heaven with a seasonal tea concoction that should also serve as an anti-allergy solution for Spring.

Red Tea with Forsythia

Red Tea with Forsythia

1 overfull teaspoon Republic of Tea Rooibos & Passionfruit loose tea

1 scant 1/2 tsp Thé Mariage (black tea with chocolate caramel overtones; can substitute any strong black tea like English Breakfast)

1 dried prune, chopped small

1 dried apricot, chopped small

5 forsythia flowers (or other bitter-sweet edible flower)

1 teapot's worth of boiling water, poured over ingredients. Steep for at least four minutes. But you can leave it in the steeper and it will only sweeten with time.

I'm in love. :)

Regarding quantities, I make a pot for the whole day—enough for me and for others in the family who might want to sneak a little tea. This is my absolute favorite teapot for the job, though mine's a tangerine cheery color. Includes steeper, which I love...


Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Megan Willome said...

I would love to share a cup of your new red tea, and if it alleviated my oak pollen allergy, so much the better!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

That sounds lovely! And this Mariage tea--chocolate caramel? Ummm, yum. Though I've been trying to stick to greens.

Do you reheat cups during the day then?

8:09 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Megan, is the oak pollen edible? Because that's one way you could begin alleviating the allergy, by ingesting the pollen.

People usually say not to reheat tea, but I find that these teas are so rich that they stand up to reheating.

Yes, by 3 pm, I'm pouring it from the teapot to the stove pot and back again :)

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

Wow, love that color. The one with violets looks good, too. You tempt even me (a coffee drinker primarily). :)

If it changes the world, and since you're a world changer, your blends would be a good addition to the store. Besides, doesn't the "T" in T.S. Poetry stand for tea?

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home