6.6.08

Cooking is a Jesus Thing

African Chickpea Stew

As far as keeping house goes, I generally welcome cooking as one of my happier tasks. Maybe because I like to eat. Maybe because it feels like art— the colors, the textures, the fragrances blending into edible loveliness.

In Keeping House, Margaret Kim Peterson says that the "'homely' character of redemption is...one of the overarching themes of scripture." Among other things, Jesus speaks of the kingdom of God as a banquet and he describes conversion as God and Christ coming to make their home with us. Indeed, Jesus says, to feed the hungry and clothe the naked is to do the work of the kingdom (Matthew 25:40); when we do this, it's as if we did it for Christ himself. (p.16)

How blessed to think that when I chop, crush, spice and simmer, I am engaging in spiritual as well as physical art. It inspires me to share another recipe with you.

African Chickpea Stew

Saute until lightly browned...

• 1 small onion, chopped


Add and saute briefly...

• 2 garlic, minced
• 1/2 tsp oregano
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/2 tsp paprika


Add and simmer about 10 minutes...

• 2 cups Muir Glen tomato and basil puree
• 2 cans (or equivalent dry and cooked) chickpeas
• 1 green bell pepper, chopped chunky (can add later if you like them a little greener and firmer)
• 1/2-1 tsp salt
• pepper to taste


Put on top and cook covered until "sunny"...

• 6-8 eggs


Finish...

• a few pours olive oil

Serve with rice or crusty bread, salad and green beans.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Wow...that looks SO good, I just had to say something. Yum, yum, yum.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely delicious, and simple too. Works for me! This is one I will try soon... =) Thanks for sharing!

Jaime G

10:06 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Sarah... it really is good. One of my kids' favorite meals.

Jaime... thanks for stopping by Green Inventions. If you try it out, let me know! I love to hear how these things go for people (and if they make changes or encounter problems with the recipes).

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This inspires me to wonder when we can get down there again SOON. Yummy.

5:31 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Kim... oh DO come soon. I miss you. And I would happily feed you chickpeas anytime. :)

5:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds really great. Yum. I'll have to try it.

Do you cook the yolks all the way, or over easy? I don't know if hubby could handle the yolk running. . . .

I'm going to have to give that book a try too.

7:29 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Jennifer... I make them "sunny", which means the yolk still has a little life in it. :) But if your husband likes eggs hardboiled....

As for the book, I loved it. I read it in two days. I think it was just the thing I needed. And she's profound yet accessible.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home