23.4.08

Allergies Be Gone, the Lovely Way

Forsythia Sprinkled Omelette

You know how people say to eat honey, or take bee pollen, to combat spring allergies? I have a theory, based on my own humble experience: eat the flowers themselves and you can make your allergies calm down.

My favorite edible spring flower is forsythia. And we have them in abundance here. Slightly sweet and mildly bitter, I use them in any dish where I might otherwise use something like sage. Omelettes, green salads, apple salads.

But mostly, I just love eating things that are so beautiful. Yellow upon yellow, this floral cheese omelette is a personal favorite.

Regarding how to find the best forsythia, my kids gave me a little tip the other day. I can't vouch for its accuracy. But they say the flowers which are in the sun grow sweeter. Sounds like a parable for life.


Forsythia Omelette photo, by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennwith2ns said...

Do you just sprinkle them on top, when the omelet's almost done, or do you ever actually COOK them?

4:51 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

I throw in the egg mixture (salt, eggs, water, pepper), cook it up on real low until very firm. Then I grate cheddar on top and cook for a few more minutes. Finally, I sprinkle with the forsythia and remove from heat. The cheese will hold the flowers in place and slightly wilt them (no cooking necessary and this is preferable).

Oh, then I eat. Yum.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful looking dish. I'll have to try eating the flower. Allergy season is just about to hit. Thanks for the tip.

Dagny McKinley
www.onnotextiles.com
organic apparel

11:29 AM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

that's a great tip and thank you for it. My gf has allergies and we were thinking of natural ways to fight 'em instead of taking the usual allegra. I have also heard of eucalyptus oil. Have you ever tried that?

I'll let her know about the flowers, have to do some research on this before we go with it.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home