28.1.08

Meandering into Life

Stream

This past week, I began trying the advice I gave myself in The Gift of Sadness: spend more time in God's presence, with his creation and with people.

I spent time reading my bible out in my Secret Place. I started reading every day to my kids, a poignant and humorous chapter book called The Chicken Dance. Reading this book is a form of being with my kids (how they love to snuggle and laugh together!). It's also part of my effort to mix it up with regards to what I read (I tend towards serious things and this can get overwhelming after a while).

Also, I initiated a hike on Sunday. How beautiful is God's world, even in winter. And since I took the hike with my family, I got to watch my kids in their awe over a simple stream. They put sticks in it. Squatted beside it looking at reflections. Stepped on rocks to feel courageous. I closed my eyes and listened to the water gurgling, trickling. It was the most beautiful sound. Peace, on a winter's day.


Stream photo by J Barkat. Used with permission.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger christianne said...

This photograph reminded me of your book's theme. And then imagining your girls peering over the water to see their reflection . . . it was like my imagination's version of you as a young girl had reproduced itself with new babes.

7:57 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Christianne... Yes. Later, after I posted this, it occurred to me that I'd mentioned how they poked sticks in the stream... and that this is partly how the first vignette in my book goes.

I like the way you put it though. There's redemption in it.

8:35 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

That's probably why it struck me so forcibly . . . because that's the vignette you shared with me many, many months ago.

Yes, redemption. That's how it feels to me, too. Thanks for sharing.

2:23 PM  
Blogger goodstewards.wordpress.com said...

I love hiking together as a family... not only is it beautiful, but there is something so unifying about it. God really created a awesome masterpiece, didn't He?

Jaime

1:47 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Jaime... welcome to Green Inventions.

Indeed, it is a masterpiece beyond understanding. We can touch it, see it, smell it, taste it, hear it. And still we barely fathom the depths of its beauty. Like any good artwork, it retains some of its mystery and draws us ever in towards discovery.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home