5.2.08

Wordy Wednesday: The New High Tea

Japanese tea cup

Virtually every day, at about 4:00 pm, I take a cup of tea outside and settle myself under the pine tree. It is a variation on high tea I guess, to move outdoors where there are no linens and silver... just the ivy and the fragrance of moldering earth.

Sometimes I drink teas from my winter stores. And other times I indulge in store-bought green tea.

Today I was reading this little magazine/flyer from my health food store and was pleasantly surprised to be reminded that green tea is a real gift from God (I also wondered if my homemade teas might have some of the same properties.)

Anyway, I wanted to share these great green tea benefits, in case you were considering high tea under your pine or maple tree today:

• can inhibit flu viruses in cell cultures
• may improve glucose problems and slow development of Type 1 diabetes
• may prevent HIV from binding to human T-cells
• can protect against liver problems
• may work against autoimmune disease by suppressing autoantigens
• impressive cancer-fighting qualities for bladder, breast, lung, colorectal, esophageal and cervical types
• may reduce inflammation, affecting cartilage destruction, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
• lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol
• may prevent ventricular arrhythmias

Tea photo by L.L. Barkat. Green tea info found in Taste for Life.

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger jams o donnell said...

Even if it only does one or two of teh things claimed it's a refreshing drinl... Nice shot. Happy WW

4:09 PM  
Blogger SandyCarlson said...

Great minds....a friend just posted about the tea meditation on his Buddhist blog. Must be the thing to do! I'm going to try some. This is a marvelous photo.

4:52 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

Mmmm, I love the way you think about things, and the way I have been learning that you structure your life.

The photograph is gorgeous, all that green.

6:27 PM  
Blogger goodstewards.wordpress.com said...

Mmmm... I have been drinking some green tea lately, too, since I have a lingering cold. I've enjoyed this one that is enhanced with pomegranite. It's so flavorful! It's nice to be reminded that it's so good for me, too.
~Jaime

6:45 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Christianne... thanks. It is always interesting to learn these things about one another, yes? Just like I was so intrigued to see your new foray into meal planning.

On My Mind... I always drink green tea when I start feeling a little sick. And it always seems to keep the bad stuff at bay!

7:32 PM  
Blogger bluemountainmama said...

i wish we were close enough to have a spot'o'afternoon tea together. i should drink it more, instead of so much coffee.

i love the photo....

8:47 PM  
Blogger Utah Mommy said...

I used to have cup like that but it got broken too bad. Happy WW!
Totally Worn Out
The Future Pianist

12:35 AM  
Blogger Joyismygoal said...

sounds like a lovely little respite and the sunshine is good for your bones

8:47 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Lovely tea cup!

Yes, green tea is abundant in goodness, especially in helping one relax.

9:08 AM  
Blogger MammaMayMiller said...

Wow...So interesting, and a delightful picture to boot!!! Only problem is I don't like green tea
:( I've really tried to get used to it but can't stand the taste! What about the benefits of peppermint tea?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

Beautiful. I love the color and design. :-)

Happy WW!

My Wordless Wednesday #12

12:56 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Blue... how I wish we did too. Someday perhaps we'll have tea together. :)

Mrs. Wibbs... sometimes it helps to find a green tea with other flavors, like mint or peach. (Hey, double brew yours... a peppermint and a green!)

1:56 PM  
Blogger Shelia said...

Beautiful cup for afternoon tea. I've been drinking Japanese green tea for a while now, it's wonderful.

Happy WW!

6:17 PM  
Blogger kirsten said...

I do LOVE that mug & tea pot you've photographed. Beautiful.

And being a somewhat-compulsive consumer of green tea, I'm happy to hear of its many benefits.

Happy WW!! :o)

10:49 PM  
Blogger Butterfly Mama said...

Yes, it's great stuff!!! Wonderful tea cup!!!

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lovely! Happy WW!

1:58 AM  
Blogger bluemountainmama said...

hey l.l. ! i was reading about an upcoming ilovemountains rally in kentucky and was pleasantly surprised to see wendell berry was going to be one of the main speakers:
http://www.kftc.org/calendar/events/i-love-mountains-lobby-day

if it wasn't on a weekday, i would be going. i'd love to hear him.

also, i have good news! one of our state senators just introduced legislation to stop MTR.... it may not go very far, but i think it's a huge statement, and may open the way for other legislators who have been afraid to stand up the the powers that be.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I knew that you had this blog, but I had never popped in here until Andrea directed us to the soup.

It's lovely (the soup, the tea facts--everything).

8:01 PM  
Blogger Miriam said...

I just started drinking tea, and often take a spot in the afternoon, too... my time is around 2:oo (while the little ones are still asleep and before I need to pick up the older ones from school). It's so calming.

I don't yet know much about tea in it's different varieties, but I've been most drawn to green tea, so this was exciting for me to read of all it's benefits. :) I think I have the beginning of a new passion. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, L.L.!

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home