15.2.08

7 Weird Things About Being Vegetarian

Spinach & Black Bean Burrito

Thanks to Rudy for tagging me with the "7 Weird Facts about Me" tag. To keep with L.L. tradition, I'll modify the tag a little.

So here it is. 7 Weird Things About Being Vegetarian.

1. You have to eat your veggies, thus creating a reconciliation with your mama. (Remember how she was always telling you to eat your veggies?)

2. You don't eat meat. (According to some people, that's weird. Maybe even according to your mama.)

3. You get healthier (okay, that's only weird in a fast-food culture)

4. You begin to stare openly at the beautiful vegetables in the produce section

5. You bring things like hummus and carrots to your church's morning coffee hour

6. You may start to like animals more, even the squirrels who stole your daughter's bird feeder and hid it in the prickly pines

7. You may begin to eat the flowers off of trees (Forsythia Sunshine Breakfast photo below).

8. Oh, and number 8 (which is weird in a "7 Things" tag) is that you don't have as many people to tag in your meme. So I'll leave it at this. The meme ends here I guess. On the bright side, you can spend the extra time sharing a recipe like the one below for Black Beans & Spinach Burritos. Enjoy!

Sunshine breakfast


Black Bean & Spinach Burritos...

I generally use leftovers for this recipe. If I've made a black bean dish the night before and have some rice on hand, here's what I do:

Put a bit of each of the following in a whole wheat wrap. Wrap it up and saute lightly for about 3 minutes on each side or until cheese seems melted:

• cooked black beans, sauteed with a little onion and minced garlic and 1/2 tsp cumin (not necessary if taken from leftover recipe)
• rice
• salsa to taste
• spinach, chopped
• cheddar cheese, grated


Food photos by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Rudy said...

That's a great list, Laura! I'm not a vegetarian, but if I replace the word "vegetarian" with "meat eater", I bet the list will work too. ;-) Hehehe.. I think meat eating is "healthy".

Thanks for doing the meme!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Awesome list!

I haven't mentioned this anywhere in the blogverse yet, but I am LOVING being a vegetarian this Lent. I feel better (ok, well, after the initial week where I got sick.) I had wondered if I would miss meat, and I do occasionally, but most of the time I think about it and wonder why I ever wanted that.

7:08 PM  
Blogger goodstewards.wordpress.com said...

I was a vegetarian for a few years, so I can actually identify with all the "weird" things you mentioned.

I'm still not a big meat eater, and I do prefer veggie meals. Yum!

Thanks for the interesting post.

Jaime

9:34 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

Such a fun post! And I must say, I LOVE that beautiful photograph of your sunshine breakfast! I bet you enjoy nibbling on those flowers, too, huh? :)

As always, I love reading your memes. You never fail to make me smile.

PS: Sarah, so fun to hear how going vegetarian is working for you!

11:08 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Rudy... you're quite welcome. And thanks for appreciating it even in its morphed form.

Sarah... it is a very healthy alternative, but can be hard at first without guidance. Check out the meal plan stuff in the sidebar if you need any encouragements or a plan to help.

On My Mind... I'm interested in what made you start and then what changed your mind again.

Christianne... yes, the forsythia in that bowl are making me long for spring. :)

3:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I actually got the meal plan before I started all of this...but it wasn't until JUST NOW, when I came to ask about recipes for some of the meals, that I realized the recipe links are on the sidebar. Wow. That's what I get for using my feed reader...

11:42 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Sarah... that's great to hear you are being helped by the plan. Now if only I had ALL the recipes up. If you have any in particular you're wondering about, let me know. It might just be my inspiration to post.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home