3.12.07

The Back Yard News, Vol 1, No. 3

Autumn Still Life

acrylics painting by Sara


In Science and technology...

Paper Thoughts, by Sara

I wonder if you can make paper from leaves? They could collect all the fall leaves and save them and crush them, add glue and water to hold it together, then dry it. The way I read about how you can make origami paper from flax and cotton. Then people wouldn't want to cut down trees. They would save them, to give more leaves again and again.


In fashion...

"I Like to Wear"

Orange coats, yellow coats,
green coats, colored coats,
all coats, fall coats,
pretty coats, small coats.

by Sara and Sonia


Goings on...

"Leaves"

We were raking,
pushing,
and building,
leaves flying,
somebody jumped
into the pile,
leaves in our
hair,
wonderful,
colorful,
leaves.

by Sara


"Yellow Leaves"

Yellow leaves, yellow leaves hanging from the trees
Young branches and there's water droplets on the
forsythia bush, the grass is also wet but I'm inside
for I'm busy. Busy, writing this poem for you.

by Sonia


"Autumn"

As the squirrels hop from branch to branch
hiding nuts for their winter storing, leaves come falling
down in colors so nice, for it's autumn and
now I must go.

by Sonia


In Arts and Entertainment...

"Little Country Community", created by Sara and Sonia, from natural materials gathered in the back yard, and sundry items poached from the kitchen when Mom and Dad weren't looking:

LIttle Community 2

Little Community

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger bluemountainmama said...

i am beyond impressed with these two little girls.... and their teacher! what a wonderful and inspiring education they must be receiving to bring this creativity and originality out in them. can sir laughsalot come to your 'school'? :)

do you use a curriculum or wing it?

8:47 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I LOVE it!
So creative.
I hope to get my girls to make a little "Christmas country village" on one of our tables. Nativity and all.

9:02 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Blue... Why thank you. Really, they do these things on their own. Rarely are such things initiated or guided by me. Which brings me to your question... I am both a "classical" educator and an "unschooler". On the one hand, I formally teach math, Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and Spanish in the mornings (using established curricula). And I read, read, read to the kids, all kinds of library books on historical, artistic, and scientific subjects. I also have the kids read to me. Then, they're off. To spend the day as they will. And you see the fruits of it.

Andrea... Thanks. I hope you post your village if they create one!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Marcus Goodyear said...

What a wonderful post! I love the poem "I Like to Wear." It reminds me of the best things about Dr. Seuss. Good rhyme and meter. And so playful!

5:23 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

Wow. Again, I'm impressed. And duly so because they used the word "poached." Their poetry is so beautiful and ALIVE.

8:52 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Mark... Oh, yes. I hadn't thought of Seuss. This was a car poem. Maybe the rhythm of the road made its way in.

Christianne... and I had nothing to do with the poetry (except discussing a possible title for "I Like to Wear"). Kids really have deep creativity. I'm convinced that what they need is time and space. As for the word "poached" I wish I could attribute that to them. The paragraph above the country community is mine. (Sorry. I thought that'd be clear when I talked about the girls from a third person perspective.)

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home