10.5.07

Sun Promises

Sun Fire 2

I've always loved the sun. I love to watch it rise and set. I cherish quiet moments when it shines gently on my face. Now, in the mornings, when I go to my secret place, I marvel when it pours into the the little "woods."

Surely, the sun is a symbol of hope for me, as it has been for countless other generations. It expresses the provision of God in its consistency. It reminds me of this wonderful verse in Psalm 145...

The LORD upholds all who are falling,
and raises up all who are bowed down.
The eyes of all look to you,
and you give them their food in due season.
You open your hand, satisfying the desire
of every living thing.
vss 14-16

Yes, God provides for each season, in due time. And this is something else I've been learning. Today I discovered, for instance, that I can eat my forsythia blossoms. This is the season for it. He has provided.


Sunshine Breakfast

Sunshine breakfast

Mix all:

- apple, cut in chunks
- 1/4 of a lemon, squeezed over apples
- sprinkle of sea salt
- maple syrup to taste
- few sprinkles cinnamon
- sprouted, dehydrated, spiced buckwheat; or granola
- raw pecans
- forsythia blossoms
- sprinkle of dandelion greens


Raw Buckwheat

Raw Buckwheat Granola

- Soak about 1 and 1/2 cups hull-less buckwheat about 6 hours. Drain into colander.
- Let sprout about two days.
- Add a few pours of honey, and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and a bit of sea salt, cloves, allspice.
- Dehydrate at 115 degrees until dry (about six hours).

This is an "earthy" food. Not for frosted flakes lovers, trust me.


About buckwheat: source of protein and iron; soothing to the digestive tract; contains rutin which reduces blood pressure, promotes circulation, heals capillaries, and neutralizes radiation and X-rays; increases glucose tolerance, decreases cholesterol.

About apples: high in malic and tartaric acid which resists bacteria and yeast in digesitve tract; contain pectin which removes cholesterol, radiation, and toxic metals from the body; may prevent tooth decay; prevent blood sugar swings.

Sunset photo, food photos by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Forsythia were always my favorite spring blossom -- who knew you could eat them, too! Your breakfast looks yummy!

9:57 PM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

This is so cool. I like healthy breakfast like this, but don't do it often *sigh*. I do it on vacations :) - lost of fruit in the morning. I think I should start doing it for every day life. Thank you for the helpful information on buckwheat and apples :) One question though - why the sea-salt? Is it to draw more taste out?

Be blessed today and always.

12:29 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Maria... hi there! Nice to hear from you. Yes, I feel like I missed out on a spring meal! They're almost done blooming.

Eph... Sea salt has minerals in it. Regular processed salt is "empty" and not good for us.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Aimee said...

The sunshine breakfast is BEAUTIFUL! love your creativity and taking the time to bring out the lovely in your food

10:19 PM  
Blogger Llama Momma said...

So, what does a forsythia blossom taste like? Inquiring minds want to know!

I love your description of buckwheat: earthy. So true! I am so grateful my mother gave me the gift of exploring nutritious food and appreciating the flavors of what God created (as opposed to frosted flakes). My husband was raised on instant potatoes and ham steaks, and his taste buds really do prefer all of that.

It is a gift to our children to teach them to enjoy and appreciate real food.

8:19 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Aimee... thanks. I enjoy sharing, and this particular breakfast was a lot of fun to eat since it was like a piece of art!

Llama... forsythia has a sweet touch in the middle, as I suppose all flowers do because of the nectar. Other than that, they are rather neutral. Which is just fine with the maple syrup! There may be hope for your husband. I grew up the same way. Didn't even know what a vegetable was! (only a very slight exaggeration in that statement, really.) But wanting health put me on a new path. So, here I am, eating flowers. :)

2:54 PM  
Blogger Llama Momma said...

LL -- thanks for the encouragement! He's come a long way in the vegetable department, and while it's still not his favorite, he eats whole grains instead of wonder bread. :-)

I love, though, that my children honestly prefer the taste of healthy food. My husband says I've "corrupted" them when they pass on his Apple Jacks and go for Trader Joe's Soy & Flax Clusters or homemade granola. But I'm the same way. Real food that nourishes our bodies tastes good...along with the occasional brownie, of course. ;-)

5:53 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

How fun! I thought I knew a quite a bit about wild edibles, but there is always something new to learn, isn't there? I had no idea you could eat forsythia blossoms. I love to toss nasturtiums and pansies in summer salads; not exactly "wild edibles" but pretty edibles! P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog again! :)

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home