2.12.10

I Refuse to Start Another Blog

teapot

Today I got this little nudge, "You need another blog."

It was because I have so much poetry I don't know what to do with it. And I fear putting too much on my "regular" blogs. So I felt like I should start a blog just for poetry.

Ack.

I have three active blogs already (and a handful that serve more like book websites).

But I'm like a poetry teapot with more than I can hold in. I told a friend about this today, and the friend said, "So what. Put it on your blogs."

Friends are cool that way. They forget about things like audience and just want you to do what you need to do to stay sane.

Another friend sent me this little poem recently, by Samuel Menashe. It said, "A pot poured out fulfills its spout." And, hey, see the pot in the picture? Another friend sent that today.

Which is all to say, I am refusing to start another blog. And I hope you don't mind the poetry outpouring here and at my other two places. (Even if poetry is not your cup of tea. ;-)


Zombie Ontology

Why do we raise
the dead
in stories,
where half alive
they haunt us?
We run to our basements
or garage, find chainsaws
axes, mallets,
anything to bludgeon,
bleed the bodies
that chase us down,
refuse our lilies
at the tomb, where we have
wept our love for weeks,
months, years on end,
fed our hatred
of the way they come again
to eat our memories,
our very souls
that gave them, once,
a home.

Teapot photo by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen Overby said...

I'm glad you refuse-it confuses me and is so much to keep up with. Cozy and familiar is good. Bring it on. Write. Profusely. We can take it. :) iLike riding waves.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I relate with your post on so many levels. I have far too many blogs, a steady flow of poems seeking an online home, and past memories that haunt. I'm glad you posted this poem.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Just know that poems are like cleansing breaths...we need them now and again. :) This particular poem brought life to me in a non-zombie way.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Louise said...

Too much leads to complicated lives that lose joy where joy was meant to be. You're right not to do too much. This poem is great - sometimes we expect poetry to be pretty and forget that emotion and life is not always like that so nor should poetry be.
"Why do we raise the dead in stories, where half alive they haunt us?" I do that, for sure. Those words and that idea will haunt me now.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

I am so glad you're keeping it in your regular places! It is such a part of you, I don't know how you couldn't share with us here!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Solveig said...

I'm not complaining about the poetry, either. You're opening up a new world.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Ouch. This poem (so glad you let it pour out the spout here, in this already familiar place) seems close to home. Not sure yet why. Just that it is so raw and true and makes me wonder why I inflict such violence. Why I let the stories I tell myself keep doing their harm.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This is a very cool poem. I always battle some of those half-alive hauntings this time of year.

And you have cool friends too.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

elegant piece.

Glad to Land at your magical poetry land today,
How are you?

Love your poetry talent, Please join us at Jingle Poetry Monday potluck tonight,
First time participants can link in 1 to 3 old poems, poems unrelated to our theme are welcome!

Sign in to follow our blog so that you are kept informed about our updates.
Happy Sunday/Monday,
Hope to see you in.
xxx

7:46 PM  
Blogger Solveig said...

I've continued to think about this post. You've integrated poetry into the flow. I believe that's important.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home