24.11.10

Eat Your Pumpkin Cupcakes

Pumpkin Cupcakes

Yesterday my girls wanted to make pumpkin cupcakes. It seemed like not-the-thing-to-do when I had so much else going on. (I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year for the first time in years!)

But they'd found a recipe, and they were dreaming. So I surprised them, and on the way home from an errand, I stopped at the market and bought the requisite white cake mix.

Later on, I rewarded myself with a pumpkin cupcake, around the time that our Tweetspeak Poetry party was starting. I tweeted about the cupcake, and it ended up in the party tweetstream. Perfect for making a poem.

In addition to the pumpkin tweet, thanks to these poetic tweeters for the use of their words: @doallas @mdgoodyear @jamesrls @llbarkat @ericqweinstein @mattpriour

Recipe for an Evening

Eat your pumpkin cupcakes,
I'll sit here and sip,
meet the dew;
he'll be with college students
as usual on Tuesdays,
she'll be completely
lost, and she'll check in
while he just stumbled in.
Pass the basket across
every lap,
eating
another and another,
they mount up,
spread evenly the golden light
over white cups and white
spoons.


Pumpkin Cupcake photo, by L.L. Barkat.

---

Were you at the party? Write a poem from the tweets and share it at Tweetspeak Poetry.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have never heard of twitter poetry - it looks fun. i will have to check it out via your links.
happy thanksgiving to you! pumpkin cupcakes are yummy...

12:36 PM  
Blogger Marcus Goodyear said...

It's so funny to see how lines get reused in ways we didn't envision. Originally. And to think this poem couldn't have been "found" without twitter and Monopoly!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Pumpkin cupcakes: mmmmm!

Last night was fun; you were lyrical. And you're the first with a poem from the party. Delightful.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. (We decided to dial out for ours; it's just the two of us this holiday.)

12:47 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I missed the party and the cupcakes, but it sounds like a good one. I'll have to check out the tweets and see if the poetry fairy will visit me. She hasn't been my way for a while...

5:01 PM  
Blogger Deidra said...

I haven't seen the poetry fairy in awhile, either. But it looks as if she's been making the rounds. I've read some really good poetry tonight - and all of it from the twitter party! It's made for a fun night-before-Thanksgiving read.

Now...how about sharing that cupcake recipe?

11:52 PM  
Blogger * said...

What a lovely poem, well chosen words and great imagery. Pumpkin cupcakes...mmm, now I'm hungry!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Jerry said...

The picture alone got me salivating...I love anything pumpkin! Thanks.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is refreshing being here.
elegant blog,
smart poetry.
keep it up.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home