9.10.10

If You're Asked to Write for Us

Girl with Cornstalk

"Any writer can say that. Tell me something only you can tell me."

I've been known to say this to writers over at HighCallingBlogs.com (now TheHighCalling.org.) At first, this request can feel perplexing to a writer. Isn't it acceptable to say, "God changed me" or "grace healed me" or "I was convicted of sin"?

Sure, it's acceptable. But when 100 writers say it...or a 1,000 writers say it... or 10,000 writers say it, pretty soon we all start to sound the same. Any writer can say these things.

At TheHighCalling.org, we prefer to hear your stories. The ones that only you can tell. Stories of biscuits, glow sticks, road trips, and sad autumn mornings.

Why insist on stories? Heath & Heath note, "Stories have the amazing dual power to simulate and inspire." This often leads a listener to action.

Our tagline at TheHighCalling.org is "conversations about work, life, and God." Yet, in the end, we hope it's not just talk. We hope our readers will be inspired to act.

A few good biscuit stories might do the trick.


---

A note about writing for us: we do not accept queries, but rather work through established relationships in our Network. If you are telling great stories that inspire, comfort, challenge, or heal, you'll eventually be noticed by our Team. The best way to get noticed is to hang around the community, comment at our home page, comment on and link to other members' blogs, and interact with us on Twitter and Facebook. In other words, be social-media generous and interesting, and we'll eventually find your words. :)

---

Over at TheHighCalling.org we're reading and discussing Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die, by Heath & Heath. Want to join us? :)

Girl with Cornstalk photo, by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Alex Marestaing said...

I think stories from the heart are the best stories we can tell. Stories that give lessons, or not, just by existing.

6:10 PM  
Blogger katdish said...

So true, Laura. When I ask someone to write a post for my blog (small potatoes compared to HC) the first question most ask is, "What do you want me to write about?" To which I respond, something that you would write for your own audience. Because it's their distinct voice that I'm looking for, a story only they could tell. We all have writers we admire and therefore, intentionally or not, mimic their writing style. But everyone has their own unique writing voice, it just takes longer for some to find.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Overby said...

'The Spirit of Food' was what I slurped up over a night and a day. The essays stuck. I'll show you proof.

Loverby and fly to ND tomorrow at 4 am. We have a potluck tonight. We are to bring the Italian main dish. We finished up some garden clean up, ground up a stump, planted bulbs, and burned weeds for two days. Loverby suggested a Cosco frozen lasagna. I almost succumbed from fatigue. People don't have discerning palates any more. Right? Who cares.

Yet, within 2 minutes, I declined his tempting offer.
Tonight is about fellowship and love. And the last sticky page had been turned after all.

Laying in the fridge is a pan waiting to bake in a few hours. Layered with care, it begs to nurture and nourish and satisfy hungry, hurting people. This bulging pan which looks full of pasta,Italian sausage, chicken, mozzarella, parmesan, asparagus, zucchini, and tomato sauce is really love, ready to be baked.

Because of The Spirit of Food's stickiness, I said no to
one choice and yes to another. That's sticky. A few tears dripped as I was making it, because I recognized the difference. Nobody else needs to. :)

6:22 PM  
Blogger amanda {the habit of being} said...

stories are our past, our present, our future.

7:58 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Alex, thanks for visiting. I like that idea of a story just existing... I'm going to keep thinking on that.

Katdish... that's what we want at THC. Different stories, different voices. It's one thing we know sets us apart from a traditional magazine. We like that. :)

Kathleen... Hmmm, I may need to read that one. It's the story of my food life. :) This summer, I did what I always do, and made homemade food for my kids' birthday party. It was so cute. We overheard the little girls whispering, "This is the best pasta salad I've ever eaten." It was nothing special, I assure you. But the ingredients were all organic, all real, all fresh. Yours? I want to come to your potluck. :) I could use some KathleenOverby love :)

Amanda, that is so cool. yes, I agree.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle DeRusha said...

Hi LL,
I've haven't been over to this site of yours before -- Deidra mentioned it, so I stopped by. I've been so thrilled to write a couple of times for HCB, and the thing I love most (in addition to the community) is the fact that the editors there help me work to become a better writer. Ann Kroeker has said to me more than once, "Show me, don't just tell me," (she's it more nicely than that -- but that's what she means!) and then she's pointed out instances in my post where I've slipped into telling instead of showing. I'm learning, through her astute guidance, how to make that distinction.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello here...and put in a word about you HCB Editors being the cream of the crop!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love this about HCB--the sharing of stories. This is what makes it such a special place. What each individual writer brings to the page is truly unique. These different voices create a diverse, yet cohesive community.Pretty cool.

10:12 PM  
Blogger SiLa said...

I come across your site, or is it better to say God leads me here? Anyway, I am grateful to God for that. http://silaartphoto.blogspot.com

1:31 AM  
Blogger Susan DiMickele said...

Glad I stumbled upon this site. Love the feel and tips.

I am a sucker for a good story. Even a bad one. No wonder I feel at home at HCB.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Cheryl Smith said...

Bookmarking this to share with new members.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home