4.9.10

Six Steps to Going Viral

Made to Stick

"I was up in that back field, the big one that's totally secluded. I was mowing along. (You know I always feel like I'm being watched up there.)

Anyway, I went all the way to the end, where the trees get thick, and as I came right up to the edge, my heart just about stopped.

Right in front of me, a hand pulled down the branches and I saw two dark eyes. It was a man with long black hair. He had it pulled into braids, and he had mud paint on his cheeks. Like war paint! I backed the mower up real slow and got out of there."

This is a true story, from a friend of mine. I actually got shivers when she told it to me.

"Was he good looking?" I asked.

"Oh, yes! Gorgeous."

"You dreamed it," I kidded her.

But I knew she wasn't trying to fool me. And I knew that once again this lady in my life had told me a true story I'd never forget.

Why are her stories so memorable, or "sticky" as the authors of Made to Stick would call it? Because through a lifetime of storytelling, she's perfected the six steps to going viral:

1. Simplicity
2. Unexpectedness
3. Concreteness
4. Credibility
5. Emotions
6. Stories

My story-lady may just have missed her calling as a copy writer for an ad agency, but I'm glad I get to hear her sticky tales. And I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of the Mysterious Man by the Mowing Field.


Made to Stick photo, by L.L. Barkat.

---

Over at HighCallingBlogs we're reading and discussing Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die, starting this Monday the 6th. Want to join us? :) Also, feel free to leave your link here...

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

it had me going ;)

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

I just started the book, but life is quite full and I fear I won't keep up.

But I want to learn from these guys.

I want my stories to stick.

I mean, who wouldn't?

10:02 PM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

Wow. You're right. It does stick!

12:28 AM  
Blogger Deidra said...

"Was he good looking?"
Made me laugh. I'd have asked the same question.

I'm copying that list.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Now that's a sticky story. It could come right out of Harlequin, you know. Or perhaps I'm just thinking that because of the question you asked...Funny how our minds work. The brothers Heath are doing a pretty good job of figuring this one out, I think. I'm enjoying the book so far. Now if I can just put it into practice!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

I have my book. I guess I'd better start reading.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Glynn said...

I want to hear the rest of the mowing story, too.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

Makes me glad I'm not the one responsible for mowing the lawn!

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home