11.2.09

Ancient History

Marseilles

This was the view out our window when we went to Marseilles way back in September. The city is over 2500 years old (of course, it has been built and rebuilt on top of ruins). I thought it made a fine picture to pair with my daughter Sara's shot at the Once Upon a Time challenge...

"Once Upon a Time"

The stars were shining overhead,
the treetops dark and misty.
As I lay down atop my bed,
I thought of ancient history.

The ancient horse of the city Troy,
the worst present to ever get.
Hidden warriors emerged unalloyed
to conquer everything yet.

And then I thought of Shakespeare's plays,
the characters of long ago,
and also still performed today,
even if it snows.

So that is it for this verse here,
the sun is coming up.
And now it's sort of very weird,
I can't remember all this stuff.

Poem by Sara, age 11. Marseilles Old Port photo by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Joelle said...

Ooooh! I like the poem! So fun yet mature with its antiquated references and resonant words. Keep writing, my dear!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Great poem - I loved especially the contemplative tone that an "old" place can inspire and the variety and richness of the vocabulary. "Unalloyed" must be my favorite word of all. It looks to me like some of mom's talent has been inherited. :)

9:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This made me smile--wide!

Such loveliness, this picture of poet daughter trying on words.

L.L., Still reading your book and loving it. Chewing on so much that I thought i left along my own creek bed so long ago.

Thank you.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gift of writing has certainly been passed down :)

3:53 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Joelle, thanks for your encouragements.

Nikki, I must admit that the word "unalloyed" was mine. She wanted something to sort of rhyme with Troy. :) But the rest of the credit goes to her.

Laura, I like that... trying on words. At this age, she's certainly doing that. Maybe it's what a writer does ever-after anyhow. :) So, you have a creekbed? I would love to hear of it.

Rain, I can hope. :)

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home