30.12.08

Easy Chickpea Soup (or what to make when the holidays have totally tired you out)

Easy Chickpea Soup

I said I'd see you in the New Year. I obviously underestimated the power of a simple recipe to bring me here... so I could share it with my fellow tired-from-the-holiday bloggers.

This is a variation on a Greek soup which uses fresh rosemary and lemon juice (which you too can use if it's what's in your kitchen, in place of the fennel and vinegar).

As for me, I poked around in my herb garden and found fresh fennel growing under the leaf mulch. Here's what happened...


Easy Chickpea Soup


Saute until barely brown...

• 1/2 onion, chopped


Add and simmer several minutes...

• chickpeas (2 cans or 1 1/2 cups dried and cooked); mash some of the chickpeas to thicken soup
• chickpea water or if using canned, vegetable broth to cover


Add and simmer about 1 minute more...

• a few asparagus, chopped (I used leftovers)
• few sprigs fresh fennel, chopped
• dash sugar
• few dashes brown rice vinegar
• dash to 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
• sea salt to taste
• black pepper to taste

Finish...

Drop in a TB of butter.

This tasted really good with leftover challah bread and butter. And I like raisins, so I threw a few into my soup! An apple salad would be a great compliment too, except I didn't have the energy to make it.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

Oooh! This sounds great!

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband hates chickpeas but perhaps it'll be so good her won't even notice? I'm going to give it a try.

2:04 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Tanya, enjoy. :)

Lizabeth... does he prefer mild or spicy food? If he doesn't like chickpeas, this is a good recipe if he's a mild food guy, but if he likes rich sauces you might try the Greek Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas or if he likes spicy food, the curried chickpeas.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home