4.6.09

Getting There with Your Writing

IMG_2439

People sometimes ask my advice about writing. Writing can feel like a mysterious and daunting process, especially if you're working on a longer project.

Recently, I found some unexpected wisdom, folded up in a sheet of yellow legal-pad paper. My eldest daughter was, perhaps, giving herself a writing pep talk. Or not. Regardless, I thought her poetic musings were encouraging...

Stories

All these little bits of colored fabric,
all these different stories, these stories.

You can't make a quilt without thread.
Put the stories together. If you have thread,
this connects the pieces. To connect the stories,
you need a thread. Connect the pieces, you can
make a quilt. Stories together make a book.

All these little bits of colored fabric
can make a quilt. You just need thread.
Stories just need thread to make a book.
To make a book, a quilt, you need thread.


Yup.


Poem and photo by Sara.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Marcus Goodyear said...

To connect the stories,
you need a thread.

I like that a lot. What makes a good thread?

11:16 AM  
Blogger sojourner said...

Very nice! I love the thought you put into this and I love the photo!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Just. Wow.

This one is pretty special, no? What a precious, precious little artist you have.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home