18.12.06

Wrappin’

I am so impressed by those people who always remember to bring their cloth bags to the grocery store. I have such bags in my trunk, along with my good intentions. And, yet, I often forget to use them.

So, I end up with too many paper bags jostling inside my narrow cabinet.

Not to worry! Come Christmas, I can find my good intentions again, along with a great art project for the kids. Each child gets to wrap presents for the family, using our paper-bag wrappin’ paper. Then she chooses a design to decorate each package with. (I think grown-ups can have just as much fun doing this!)

And I get another year to work on aligning my actions with my good intentions.


helpful hint: to make sure your paper bag presents don't open themselves before Christmas, crease the paper well at the folds and use clear packing tape instead of regular tape

8 Comments:

Blogger christianne said...

What a great idea! And I love the helpful hints about creases and sealing tape. This was an inventive idea for a blog post, too.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Ah, this reminds me of the good ol' days when we spent that first week of public school raiding Mom's paper garbage bags (leftover grocery bags) to cover our textbooks for the year.

I made a bunch of grocery bag wrapping paper before I had any kids and I still have some. It's got a great, homespun look to it.

Tempting to just give the gift in the same bag it came home from the store in, but I imagine I'd get the "Bah Humbug!" if I tried.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I love "brown paper packages tied up with string." :)
I also always forget my reusable bags.
good idea.

8:49 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Christiannne... anything to be helpful to you. :)

Erin... well, now, who says homeschooled kids don't get the "whole experience"? I have to say, my kids were in the middle of this when they said, "This is a lot more fun than regular wrapping paper!"

As for the bah humbugs, I think that's interesting... people want to know that we've taken time (which this did), but I also wonder about those values we think are important but maybe aren't (fresh wrapping paper with Santa smiling up.)

9:11 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Andrea... these are a few of my favorite things! How sweet to think of that here. I love your mind. :)

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any thoughts on wrapping with those annoying plastic shopping bags! Those things inspire me to bring my canvas bags more than anything else. I too love brown packages tied in string (or any sort of ribbon or fabric).

Love this new blog!

3:14 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Plastic. Eh. All it is good for is stuffing packages that need padding for fragile items... I must do a post on the evils of plastic sometime in the New Year. :)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

In Germany a lot of people use cloth bags for shopping as it cost extra for a paper or plastic bag. Slowly in UK this idea is catching on as well.

That a great way to re-use the paper bags! :)

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home